RCU Forums - View Single Post - New 33 Year History?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2005, 12:37 PM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New 33 Year History?

Hi Matt

All I can say is "keep looking". You will find several documents that relate to 501 (c) 3 corporations. There are, essentially, tests, although that is not the correct name for them, that are applied in the determination of the IRS designation. Not all of the tests must be passed. Another is an accredited museum (the AMA's museum is not accredited), another holding on campus classes, neither of which does the AMA currently meet. There are several other tests. Publishing a magazine is but one of the tests.

I spent quite a bit of time on the IRS site some time back. I was trying to determine if an online version of MA would suffice. It will not. This was confirmed by Doug Holland in January at the AMA Convention. The AMA's status as a 501 (c) 3 is secure, but barely, in his opinion.

If you chose, call Doug. He does not answer e-mail well, but, does answer his phone. Like virtually every member of the EC, he is available to the membership. On the other hand, if you wait for him to call you, it will be futile.