Old 03-06-2005, 10:14 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build

ORIGINAL: WWIINUT

So am I
ORIGINAL: tubig

looks good anthony. wow, you can actually get your wife to buy your supplies for you? i'm impressed.
If I could figure out how to disguise airplane parts as "equine related artifacts", I could have a hangar the size of the Smithsonian by now[sm=lol.gif]. The Cub is looking good, Anthony, I like the way the structure looks, and I had also thought to gusset the joints with 1/64 ply on both my 1/4 Cub and Birddog (the birddog is former and longerons, but some lightweight bracing won't hurt a thing).I'm thinking that if you cut a small relief in the bottom of the doorsill and lay one arm of the door hinge in it, and pin it, and slot the bottom of the door at a bit of an angle so that the hinge pin is offset to the outside edge, the door will drop down against the outside of the fuse. You can then cover over the exposed hinge end on the doorsill to conceal them. I drew a sketch to illustrate, don't know how well it will show. The way my Sig instructions showed, the bottom of the door binds against the doorsill, and the hinge won't open far enough. This way avoids both. I also include pix of my 1/5 scale to show how unobstrusive the hinges are from outside, and the one showing the door opens demonstrates how far my door opens the way the Sig instructions show to do the hinges. The other thing to look at is a small rotatable bracket on the underside of the right wing that will allow you to hold the window hatch open, as on the full -size. I took a very small piece of aliminum ( about 4 x 8 mm) and bent it, and screwed it into the wing bottom at the spar, after I finished the covering and painted it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52272.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	238812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81184.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	238813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11647.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	59.9 KB