RCU Forums - View Single Post - Safety Coordinator's role
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2005, 06:47 PM
abel_pranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Safety Coordinator's role

Red has been ostensibly been charged with some level of responsibility within his district for promoting/ensuring safe operation of model aircraft within the sphere of influence of AMA, specifically within D-V. At least that is my take on his interpretation of the position, but I certainly have no authority re what he thinks! As he said. the bounds of his authority have not been clearly defined. I'll have to admit that when I have been given some responsibility such as this, I have always assumed authority commensurate with that level of responsibility, as it is rarely defined explicitly. More than nine times out of ten I get the backing from those above me; Less than one time out ten it is "act now and ask forgiveness later." Of course in this situation, there is no urgency to warrant haty action. Red can defer the issue up the chain of command and 'recommend' to all CDs in his district that the guy not be invited to upcoming sanctioned events, and 'recommend' that if he can not be excluded for reasons of due process concerns that somebody be assigned as the CDs agent to stay on the guy's butt like stink on dog poop from the time he arrives until he he has left the premises. Where there's a will there's a way, and there should should enough will to discourage this kind of behavior. I've meted out a lot of such discouragement as warranted, and managed not to run afoul of the legal system, or at least managed not to get it pinned on me.
I don't have much respect for bad actor's civil rights, and I don't expect Red does either. I'd have to say to Red, if you are restrained from taking any action against this guy with at least the authority of a CD, then quit the job, as its no more than what many of us anticipated: being an AMA mole planted in an AMA chartered club to report 'incidents' back to Muncie.

Abel