RCU Forums - View Single Post - Diamond dust motor mounting 1/4" higher than spec.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:11 PM
Roadrunner1390

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diamond dust motor mounting 1/4" higher than spec.

The flight of the animal

Wow this thing ripped out of the hands of the launcher like it was shot from an aircraft carrier!!

I havn't had this much fun with my cloths on in a long time !!

The resuls are in from the test flight:

Well the weather in Connecticut held off and was great for flying.
The dust got a lot of looks when I took it out of the Explorer. I got even more looks when I fired it up and it pierced everyones ears !!

As my buddy was holding the DD while I fine tuned the needle, I could see it wanting to rip out of his hands. (thats when the palms started to sweat)

As he let her go, my hands started to shake!! It was like "poof" and it was gone !! (now my knees started to shake)

I throttled back as I got airspeed. It seemd to handle well and the motor being 1/4" high seemed to be ok. It also balanced excellent.

It didn't take long for the peanut gallery to start yelling "lower, lower" and "open it up". So much for taking it easy.
I rolled on the throttle and holy sh-t. It was like when the X-fighters in star wars hit that hyper drive. The DD just accelerated and the pipe really kicked in. (my knees, thumbs, hands, and stomach were all shaking now). I have never seen or flown anything this wild !! I admit that I lead a sheltered life, but this thing was fassst. Anyway, as I achieved full power and got up to speed (this took all of about .2 sec.) It started to flutter !!! All I could think of was the opening scene from the bionic man and Steve Austins space craft coming apart !! The flutter was not too bad, just a little noise and a slight wing wag. I put four flights on her and brought her back safely. I will post some pics later.
Thanks to all for the feedback on my questions.

RR