RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build

Just a note on the struts. I have complete instructions on building them on my site. www. Thecubden.org . I have been using this setup in my 1/4 scale for several years now. I do fly with the Hitec PCM equipment but I have never noticed it going into fail safe. Only metal to metal contact is where the struts fasten to the fuselage. In the original design I used the Dubro 4-40 Rod Ends. ((Dubro # 302). A question few entrees above asked about the strength of the jury struts. Although I don’t do a lot of wild flying with this setup, I have rolled, and looped the plane several times. I believe this set up to be just a strong in not stronger then the setup on the plans. After all Sig and Balsa USA only use spruce for the struts. I have only had one failure of this system. I was about 5 feet off the deck of our grass runway and it stalled. Nose down it hit the ground. With this force, the left wing came forward, the 1/4 ply feed through section broke in the center of the wing along with the two 4-40 ball links where the struts attached to the wing. The 4-40 ball links failed in a manner where the plastic wraps around the ball. I will say a 18-pound plane coming out of a loop would probably put some stress on this setup but it has not failed in flight yet.