RCU Forums - View Single Post - What should the AMA allow as the maximum weight of an RC model?
Old 04-11-2005, 02:26 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What should the AMA allow as the maximum weight of an RC model?

The poll is beginning to show a bias toward no weight limits. Some have chosen to leave the experimental class in place, showing, in my opinion, a concern that “the average AMA member” not be allowed to build and fly large aircraft without some form of inspection/certification. The largest single segment says no inspection/certification (almost as many votes as experimental class pilots with flying certifications). As you point out, all the choices possible are not in the poll, nor could they be. I am wondering if voters are of the opinion that the AMA should advance areomodeling as a matter of principle, without concern as to the integrity of the aircraft, or the ability of the pilots.
All that tells me is the average respondent hasn't been to enough big scale fun flys where the average older pilot has the money to build a quarterscale monster but fails to recognize he either is really lacking the flying skill to fly it or, his eyesight and motor skill won't let him fly it to the skill level he once was capable of.

Now we're pushing this thread into the realm of flight testing too OOPs!

Tom