RCU Forums - View Single Post - What should the AMA allow as the maximum weight of an RC model?
Old 04-12-2005, 01:11 PM
abel_pranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What should the AMA allow as the maximum weight of an RC model?

gow589 -

Comments interspersed in bold type.

Abel

ORIGINAL: gow589

Abel, I am confused what we dissagree about. Can you restate what you think we need.

Certification for turbines over 55lbs? YES - Experimental Class rules, just like everyone else. At what do you draw the line? 55 LBS
How they are powered? NO
What their weight is? YES
If they are flown locally over private property or weather they fly over non-private property? N/A
If they enter controled airspace (the 400' altitude has nothing to do with that) N/A
If they fly higher than 400' (which has nothing to do with controled airspace). N/A

Yes the FAA regulates all airplanes and can regulate our models at any time but they don't regulate airplanes not in controled airspace OVER PRIVATE PROPERETY which makes the 400' rule mute. AMA should make general rules based on the assumption that everybody flies over private property? Does FAA issue NOTAMS warning pilots overflying private property that they are in uncontrolled airspace? This puts the altitude more near 700' Where does that figure come from? FAA Advisory Circular, etc?

I will re-state what I said before, if you own a 2000'acre farm and you own a Stearman, you can stay over your farm and bellow 700' (assuming in your area that is where controled airspace begins) without a pilot's license or even without the airplane being certifiably airworthy. Why would models be subject. AMA should make general rules based on the assumption that everybody flies over a 2000 acre farm?

This part of the discussion does not address modelers near airports or control zones or other airspace.

Abel some times we say the same things, some times we say different things it's confusing. I understand what I am saying - sorry if I confused you. I am less articulate at times than I want to be.