RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Badius Owners Club
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Pilot Ray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Hi tgm4812860,
Both the Accipiter Badius plane and the Sky Hawk plane will get progressively harder to fly as winds go above 5mph. The worst type of day to fly on is when it has been windy for most of the day, and then all of a sudden the ground wind has eased up later in the day to just a very slight breeze. It appears like the wind has let up enough to allow good flying, only to find out just after takeoff that the wind is still very strong above 50 feet and the plane is encountering strong wind gusts. This happens to me often in my flying area do to the large rolling hills. I have found that a limiting factor on flying these planes in stronger winds is wing flex. When flying thru turbulent cross winds (especially just when the plane is turning and diving) the main wings can start extreme oscillating rapidly (one outer wing end flexing up while the other outer wing tip is flexing down) of which can cause lose of directional flight and a risk of a high speed nose first crash.
Stalling like you where saying that happened to your plane, can happen in the wind if the speed of the plane gets to low, especially when turning.
When it comes to straightening the Accipiter Badius plane fuselage, the plane will still fly great as long as everything is re-straightened as close to original shape as possible. Over time with more hard crashes and realignments, the fuselage does become weaker and may eventually start cracking.
Also tgm4812860, Like Loubud was saying, I make a stronger aluminum motor mount for the Accipiter Badius and Sky Hawk that you can see in my Galley section by clicking on it at the bottom of my post.

Thanks,
Pilot Ray