RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD FAQ
Old 04-29-2005, 08:19 AM
Mechanos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD FAQ

ORIGINAL: mhmitchell

one thing I would LOVE to be able to do is import a JPG, GIF, BMP etc of an aircraft 3-view as a layer and then "trace" over it to do formers, outlines, etc. It seems like a fast, easy way to start a design......does anyone know if Tcad can do this??? perhaps the "pro" version can, but not the cheap "designer" version I have. Grrrrrrrrrrr! =)

-ron
I dont know if this has been answered since I havent read the entire forum but. You dont have to use the import function. I have TC cheapo vs 8. and I can take any format even PDF and just when you are viewing it from what ever viewer you are using ,EDIT SELECT ALL , EDIT COPY then open TC and EDIT PASTE to a new page. Save it in TCW and then trace away. PDF ? Use the PRT SCRN button on your keyboard (this makes a BMP) then you can edit paste it to any viewer you wish even TC then trace away. Be sure to terace in another color other rthan BLack then you can select by > color , edit copyt and paste your tracing toi a new page after which you can edit select all and change the color to black.

[/quote]
Don't know about Tcad, but this is exactly what I do with Microstation. I load another module called IRASB and import the raster file. I can then scale the raster file to whatever I want and then trace over it with vectors in the CAD software. Turn off the raster image and you're left with a CAD drawing of the parts. It performs the same function as a digitizing tablet but eliminates the need for the additional hardware. If Tcad with drive a digitizing tablet, they can usually be found cheap on ebay.