RCU Forums - View Single Post - I used Lipos without regulator...No problems
Old 05-06-2005, 12:48 AM
obolel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I used Lipos without regulator...No problems

Goekeli, everything is fine, no problems at all. Did about 60 fligths with excelleron, 20 flights with Funtana, 10 flights with Patty.

My findings are :
1. Servos move much faster ( naturally ), so the set up can be arranged to give servo more mechanical advantage and resolution, pushrods can be connected higher on the control surface, lower on the servo.
2. Servos definitely spends more energy, at natural and while working, I presume % 50 more energy spent per flight, so it is a good practice ( as with any setup ) to keep an eye on the charge level.
3. If you have an already fast servo at 6.0 volts ( like .12 secs, .10 secs ), the speed with 8.0 volts has to be seen to be believed, awesome, they become simply instantaneous.
4. Servo becomes hotter during operation, but I don't think it can become critical.

Also, I talked with a very good pilot ( and a dealer ) on the phone about this setup, he told me that he uses the same setup, and even used an unregulated lipo with his DA ignition. He said it worked for a year, then stopped working. He is not sure whether higher voltage caused that, though. Until now one of mine and one of my friend's ignitions also died, but we were using them with 6 volts. I talked to DA, and they told me to use 6 volts maximum.

So far, no problems, I don't think I will have any.