RCU Forums - View Single Post - NEW SAITO 2.2
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2005, 11:31 AM
hayate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW SAITO 2.2

One of our club pilots has just got the 2.2. Although it hasn't fully broken in yet, here is a bit of first hand info on the Saito.
RPM reading : With a Mejzlik 19x8 : 9100rpm
Mejzlik 20x8 : 8200rpm
Muffler : Standard Saito
Fuel : Klotz 23% Nitro
Plug : Saito SS (This is a new plug from Saito, as good as or even better than well proven OS-F)
Fuel consumption : It uses a fair bit more than YS-160DZ, in other words a 700cc tank is required for 10min. sports flying.
This should be improved as it gets fully broken in, hopefully.
Vibration level : Since it was hard mounted on a Saito solid alloy engine mount, it's hard to compare with my soft mounted
YS-DZ, however, it appears that the 2.2 shakes much more than the DZ, as much as an Enya 1.55 from my
experiences.
A note on the pump system : Unlike fully developed and proven YS system, a Saito system asks fliers for different approach.
For example, balancing between the high speed needle and pressure control valve setting depending
upon application or your preferred flying style plays an important role here. A high pressure setting
for sports aerobatics or low pressure configuration which results mild throttle response for more
scale like flying.
The 2.2 is not for every one indeed. It's an expensive power plant to purchase and to run. However, it's in the class of it's own,
and yes, Id like to mention that I love it's exhaust sounds. It's wild, but sweet !