RCU Forums - View Single Post - ZDZ 80RV prop for IMAC?
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: ZDZ 80RV prop for IMAC?

Two things to stop a torque roll from rotating too fast. First is give it some throttle, pull up about 3 to 5 feet, or, forward a foot or two, then straighten it up and back it down again. Actually backing it down at the correct rate will offset the torque and not rotate at all. See the Don Lowe Masters or Ballet of sky video for illustration. I back it to the ground down to about 1 foot or less, and the plane is stationary for the duration. Then slowly starts torque rolling after its stationary for a few seconds. Backing down to the ground too fast will actually cause the plane to rotate to the right rather than left. Its easier torque rolling within 3 feet of the ground than 30 feet. The ground effect dampens the airframe, plus you tend to be more alert at a couple of feet or less from the ground than when you are higher.

Props- I moved to the 3 blade and stuck with it for both sequence and 3D (with the flip of a switch on the Tx). It took a while to get used to the 3 blade, and the waterfalls are not as tight, nor the spins as flat, but it gets the job done and saves practice time rather than changing props, cg, etc every other flight. Its a faster speed, more consistent in the wind, at least witht the Composite ARF.