RCU Forums - View Single Post - Interesting ?? AMA Financial Inf.
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2005, 05:04 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Interesting ?? AMA Financial Inf.

ORIGINAL: scottrc

Hey Horrace, I have voted, and I have associated with my VP, and have watched the financial numbers and I feel that this promotion was short sighted. Are they really expecting a percentage of the DVDs to be paid for? I would pay for mine if they sent it as a "free will" donation and not full of fine print and direct marketing BS. That made me distrust this whole promotion and also put distrust in the AMA.
No real disagreement here, Scottrc. To the best of my understanding, the DVD thing was/is -- a private venture with AMA realizing a commission on sales. Personally, I think AMA's entering such a venture as any kind of partner is definitely less than the symbol AMA should maintain.

The AMA is so split between those who stick their heads in the sand and those you seek out personal gain, that many are getting an attititude of "why bother" and are getting tired of the overall prospective of the organization.
Something here is less than clear to me Scott. Are you saying that I am into personal gain by seeking elected volunteer service with AMA? There is NO PERSONAL GAIN in being an AMA EC member other than perhaps some imaginary "status" that some do seem to enjoy. There are definitely a few perks, however if one really is there to accomplish more than seat-warming, it's really hard and often very frustrating labor.
Those that don't want to be there could well assist those that do simply by VOTING.
And to the issue of voting, how many don't use a ballot, but instead use their pocket book by renewing their memberships, getting new members, and making donations?
That type of 'vote' simply says "everything's OK." There are fewer each year.
2000 165,365
2001 170,754
2002 173,420
2003 168,075
2004 163,709

Only the BALLOT can redirect the current AMA EC. You have a new VP. Interesting to see where he will be at this time next year.

There are a few of us in between who really want an organization that is focused on protection and promotion of model aviation.
Problem is we are so few. [:-]

Didn't mean to pick on you Scottrc, however you did ask the perfect questions in that other thread for me to use to lead into the points I wanted to make about AMA's total waste of funds and opportunity. In addition old suspicious me can easily perceive a willful and planned method to establish a Publications Unit that can make a plushy position for a select few without any risk to those enjoying that position.

Edited to add a t.