RCU Forums - View Single Post - BVM Super (Balsa) Bandit
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2002, 04:12 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wing mounts

The two wing halves attach to the fuselage by sliding in from the side and then being retained by bolts internally. The forward carbon fiber spars each have 3 pre-drilled holes in them to attach them to bulkhead F-4, while the rear carbon fiber spars will be held in place by U-shaped brackets with a friction-based retention screw preventing the spar from moving in the mount.

Here you can see bulkhead F-4 sitting temporarily inside the fuselage. The bulkhead is made up of two formers : F4 and F4a. One is a sandwich of balsa and thin carbon fiber cloth; the other is a 1/8" thick carbon fibre part. These are glued together and then threaded aluminum inserts are installed for the wing bolts to screw into. Where the manual tells you to put the inserts into the front side of the assembly, that means the side that is the 1/8" carbon fiber part - F4a - (as shown on the detail plan).

Next, the wings are temporarily attached so that the fit of F4 can be assesed. In my case. I found that I had very minimal adjustment to make here - I only needed to shave 1/16" or so off of the very top part of F4 above where it fits around the curve of the wing fairing. I initially just pushed the wings in firmly to the point where I could get all 6 bolts into F4, and then found that the F4 fit to the fuselage was so tight that I could not get the 80-grt sandpaper in there to make the adjustments.

So - instead of putting all 6 bolts in, finding out that the F4 fit is too tight, removing the bolts again (etc., etc) I would recommend that you simply use one bolt (the inner one) on one wing at a time, to see how much your fuselage will pull in towards the former - then adjust the former repeatedly until you are happy, and only then should you start adding the other bolts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	30154_3215.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	18684