RCU Forums - View Single Post - BVM Super (Balsa) Bandit
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2002, 02:46 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fin comparison

Here's a photo of the two available fin types, shown next to each other for comparison. At this point, they are ready to be glassed.

Note that you must select a fin type when ordering your Super Bandit - you don't get both. However... so far I can see no reason why you couldn't order your kit with one fin type and purchase a separate fin kit for the other type, in order to be able to experiment with both and compare the flight characteristics, or simply give yourself some variety in the aircraft's look...

Both fins use the exact same F7 position for the central aluminum block that the fin's rod mounts into ... they have different positions for the forward 4-40 bolt, but it seems perfectly reasonable for you to put in two blind nuts into the fuz-mounted nut plate instead of just one.

Note - in both fins, there is a small aluminum tube supplied - this is a guide tube for the 4-40 bolt that holds the front of the fin in position. The method used for cutting the tubes at the factory seems to fold the tube over inside itself slightly at the end, making it look as if the tube has a thick wall and the 4-40 bolt head will not fit. Simply use an Exacto blade to clean the end out, and you will see that the bolt fits just fine. I chose to fit the tube after all construction was done, so that it does not interfere with the process of shaping the LE.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	37100_3215.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	18717