RCU Forums - View Single Post - Piranha Digital Peak Charger Opinions (& Charging Hobbyzone Batteries)
Old 06-13-2005, 09:42 AM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Piranha Digital Peak Charger Opinions (& Charging Hobbyzone Batteries)

Watch the voltage at the bottom of the screen while it's charging. As the battery reaches full it will slow down it's climb, then start to fall when the pack is peaked. Based on the m/v setting you put it (should be set in the 3 to 5 m/v range) the charger will terminate when the pack drops it's voltage below it's peak voltage minus the m/v X number of cells in the pack. It automaticly multiplies the m/v setting X the number of cells (IE: 3X7 cells=21m/v). So, when the peak voltage begins to fall it will terminate when the pack drops 31 m/v below the highest voltage reached by the pack during charging. Don't get confused if you see the pack voltage drop off and on, as it does this when the charging turns off the charging amps every minute or so through the charge cycle. You'll see the amp rating in the upper corner go to 0 when it does this for a few seconds. I also noticed that based on the battery condition the charger may change the charging amps to compensate for battery condition. Nice feature. I have a Venom 8.4V 1100ma pack that it likes to drop the charging rate lower on. It turns out this pack is weak as it doesn't have the juice it once did. In order to correct this I'm going to drain the pack completely, then charge at a real slow rate of .1 to .5 amps. This should help the pack rebalance it's self, but will take probably 3 to 7 hours to charge it. It's good to do this with a new pack for the first charge or for any pack after 20 or 30 charges. In normal field charging, I try to follow the rule of .9 amps for a 900ma pack, 1.1 amps for a 1100ma pack. If I'm in a hurry I may crank either pack up to 1.2 to 1.5 but this isn't as good for the battery as the normal charge rate. The slower the charge the more juice you get into the pack and the better it is for the battery.