RCU Forums - View Single Post - MY HOMEBUILT HELICOPTER
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 07:28 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MY HOMEBUILT HELICOPTER

I bought a partially built Benson gyrocopter in the early seventies. I finished buliding it and was waiting on an engine rebuild to complete the project. I didn't have any real flying experience and was told by an experienced gyro pilot that it was a piece of cake. I could picture myself flying to my friends houses/farms and impressing the young ladies with my way cool Benson. Well, my dad found out about the project (he was a Navy fighter pilot and was an accident investigator for the military) and he begged me to sell it. If I did, he would send me through flight school. I finally agreed to sell it and in hindsight it was a very smart move. I got my private ticket and realize that without proper training I probably would have busted my arse in that Gyro. Please get proper instruction in full scale helis before attempting flight in the homebuilt. By the way, the experienced gyro pilot I was referring to is not with us anymore. He crashed test flying someones newly built gyrocopter. I'm sure that little heli homebuilt would be a blast to fly, if built to perfection and the pilot had sufficient heli training. Good luck