RCU Forums - View Single Post - I need some equipment recommendations.
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2005, 05:36 PM
maaaarius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some equipment recommendations.

I've always been interested in RC, but never really gotten into it. Now I've decided that I want to give it a try, and I need some help getting started.

First of all I need a transmitter, and it would be very nice if it worked with the simulators (real flight/aerofly deluxe pro/reflex xtr). It looks like the transmitter must be able to work in PPM mode (whatever that is)

I was thinking about a 4 or 6, or maybe 7 channels transmitter. I will only fly electric planes... maybe try som 3D flying and maybe the funny hydro-foam "boat" when I know enough to fly them. I'm no sure if I will buy a new or used transmitter yet, but I gusss that doesn't matter. I don't think I will ever go for gas planes, looks messy. I'm not sure is electric helicopters can become interesting later, who knows.

Quality is important, but isn't JR, Futaba, Airtronics, Hitec all quality? I don't want the most expensive transmitter just because it's expensive, that is no proof of bein better than the others. I don't like how the Futaba looks, and I've heard the programming takes time and can be a *****. I really like the look of the other transmitters, Airtronics looks nice, but so does the others as well. Can anyone say something for or against these brands?

Not sure if I should try to find a transmitter only, and buy the receiver+servos separately. I think I need a mini receiver and mini servos. For all that I know, maybe some transmitters are sold with that as well.

Is it ok to use mini servos for other electric planes than shockflyers and parkflyers? Would they work on bigger planes? I guess that depends how big they are... but...

If i buy a receiver and servos separately, are there any brands I should go for, or stay away from?

All comments and suggestions are highly appreciated

Can anyone recommend some cheap an nice webshops? other than www.towerhobbies.com