RCU Forums - View Single Post - Piranha Digital Peak Charger Opinions (& Charging Hobbyzone Batteries)
Old 07-05-2005, 12:19 PM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Piranha Digital Peak Charger Opinions (& Charging Hobbyzone Batteries)

Back to the topic of the amp drop from specified settings while charging. You said that this is due to the input 12v power source dropping in voltage and thus lowering the output amps to compensate. I've been experimenting with this and can find no relation to this drop. Sometimes it will lower the output amps from say .9 to .8, despite how high the source voltage is. AND...I also noticed that the charge will sometimes increase the output amps from say.9 to 1 amps. It appears to happen when the charging packs voltage has stalled. IE: It isn't climbing or dropping. Like I said, the charger appears to do this slight lowering or raising of amps on difficult packs near the end of the charge. This still leads me to believe that is has some form of charging logic in it that is trying to get the pack to the proper charge. If I'm charging smaller Sub A packs it may lower the output amps near the end of the charge (or raise it). However, after charging these and then charging some 3300 sub Cs I see no decrease or increase in output amps. My only other explaination would be that the output from the car battery isn't constant...and that it may (as it discharges) produce higher or lower input voltage to the charger. It's not a problem, just curious if it's charger logic or something other. This only happens maybe 1 out of 10 charges. Most of the time it stays rock solid on the specified charging amps.