RCU Forums - View Single Post - 14MZ trim resets, anyone?
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2005, 01:58 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 14MZ trim resets, anyone?

ORIGINAL: bluestratos

I see...recenter with sub trims then slide the trims back to zero.. that will reinstall the correct offsets for trim. I thought my 9z could do this for all trim settings automatically with the push of a button. Is that not correct?

Regards,
Randy
Actually, that won't work. If, for example, you put in 14 points of "up" elevator trim, it will take several points of "down" to recenter with the sub-trim. Then, if you recenter the main trim, you'll add another 14 points of "down" elevator, and end up with more points of "down". You'd need to go the other way. You'll still have to measure the amount of deflection physically so that you can zero the main trim and then add the appropriate amount of "up" sub-trim. Please note that 10 points of sub-trim equal 1 point of trim.

This isn't the best use of the sub-trims, though. The sub-trims are intended to be used to make very small adjustments in the centering of your servo after you've gotten the best setting you can by adjusting the servo horn, linkage, and control horn. If you've put in so much trim that you're almost out trim adjustment available, then you should work on your linkages...better yet, try to find out why the model needs to carry so much trim...balance, thrustline, weight, alignment, and so on.

The Trim Memory of the 9Z saved the trim settings, but did not change the indication. If, for example, you had 14 points of "up" trim, your transmitter would indicate 14 points of "up" trim. What trim memory did was save that 14 points of "up" trim. Then, if you moved the trims on later flights for some reason, you could reset the transmitter to the 14 points of "up" with a few keystrokes. It did not "recenter" the trim indicator while keeping in the 14 points of deflection.