RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aerobird Challenger trouble
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 12:00 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Aerobird Challenger trouble

OK, good responses.

When I launch a properly trimmed Aerobird, I face into the wind, hit full power, give a straight throw and do nothing else until it is at least tree height. I was training a new Aerobird pilot on Saturday. When I launched his plane I did it with the controller in my left hand held all the way out to my left to emphasize that I was doing nothing to control the plane. I just let it pick up speed and climb.

The design of the Aerobird is that it will tend to climb at full throttle with no other inputs, so you don't have to fly it up. In fact, pulling the stick back too hard or too soon will usually result in a crash. This causes a stall. This is not unique to the Aerobird. This is a basic flight principal. Most stalls are caused by the pilot pulling back on the stick too much with too little air speed.

more testing for you to do.

grasp the black rod, the boom, and see if you can roll it at all between your fingers. You should not be able to rotate it at all, in any way. If you can, you have a problem.

Now, grasp the boom and see if you can wiggle it up and down. Other than flexing the boom, you should not be able to move it up or down.

Hold the plane upside down. Site between the screws on the bottom of the plane, like a gun site. The orange screws should be perfectly centered in the sight. If they are slightly left or right you have broken teh boome lose and the plane will be forced into a turn when you launch it which usually takes it into a crash.

Now, turn the plane on its side. Site down the body and along the boom. They should be perfectly alligned. If the boom seems to droop to the left or right, then you have broken the boom lose and the plane will tend to dive on launch, or will not be able to rise off the ground.

Everything you tell me leads me to believe you have broken the boom lose. Either that or your batteries are not being fully charged and you simply don't have enough power to fly. The plane practically jumps out of my hand when I launch it.

Do you have a digital camera? If necessary I will ask you to take some photos and post the photos.

BTW, I see you in NJ. I am on Long Island. If you want to take a drive, I will help you get your plane flying and give you some training on how to fly it.