RCU Forums - View Single Post - Piranha Digital Peak Charger Opinions (& Charging Hobbyzone Batteries)
Old 07-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Piranha Digital Peak Charger Opinions (& Charging Hobbyzone Batteries)

Great thread guys, I'm trying to understand this charger myself. Any way I'm using this to charge up the 8.4Volt 2100 Mah Nicad battery pack in the Hobbico Superstar EP. Plane crashed last year, repaired in a couple days. I tried it a couple of weeks ago after reading this thread. Set the unit as Nicad, 2100 MAh, 2.1 A, 3mv, no trickle charge. The battery charged up to 2100 Mah. took at least on hour, the pack was slightly warm. Went to the Wham Electric Fun Fly, got some help with it, flew great.

Last night, Set up is Nicad, 2100 Mah, 2.1A, 8mv, no trickle charge. The battery charged up to 1700 Mah. Reset the unit to 3mv and 0.5Amps. The charger turned off after approximately 280 Mah. I figure the pack now has a charge of 1700+280=19800 Mah. Does this seem correct to you?

Should I be using the trickle charge with nicads? Why not with NIMH?

I also find parts of the instructions difficult to understand. It needs some examples. I do not like the line that says "If this happens, just change either A, B, or C." Do you lower the value, rise the value, etc.

The guys at the field said they usually give the battery a quick charge just before the flight. Is this done at 4~5 Amps?

Help would be appreciated.