RCU Forums - View Single Post - Beginner buying 6 ch radio
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 05:21 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Beginner buying 6 ch radio

ORIGINAL: cdp182

I too have been looking for a low cost 6 channel computer radio, same two. Futaba 6exas FM and the Hitec Optic 6 with spectra. I like the Futaba better for some reason, but nowhere can I find if it is dual conversion or not and will it work with my Hitec 555 and Electon 6 recievers? Thanks for any input.........CDP
Dual Conversion, DC, is not a transmitter spec, it applies to receivers only and how they read the signal from the radio and try to filter out noise. It is more detailed than that, but it doesn't matter. As far as radios go, it doesn't apply.

As to your Hitec receivers. There are two ways that FM radios encode their signals, in North America. I am not sure about the rest of the world. They are positive shift and negative shift. Hitec and Futaba are negative shift in the US. Radios like the Hitec Optic 6 and the Eclipse 7 can also transmit in postive shift. This is called a shift select feature. The Futaba 6EXA, 7C and 9C that are marketed in the NA do not do shift select, they are negative shift only.

Just make sure that the receiver, regardless of brand, is marked as negative shift, or Futaba/Hitec compatible. The vast majority of Hitec receivers sold in NA are negative shift, so you should have no problem. Postive shift receivers are usually marked as JR/Airtronics compatible, as their standard in North America is positive shift. It is that simple.