RCU Forums - View Single Post - ParkZone J-3 Cub Electric 3ch Beginner ?
Old 08-02-2005, 04:21 PM
L0stS0ul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone J-3 Cub Electric 3ch Beginner ?

Sounds like a pretty successful maiden for ya. The cub was my second real plane after graduating from the Hobbyzone Firebird commander. I've only crashed the cub one time badly due to a distraction that caused me to loose sight of the plane. From now on I don't take my eyes off the plane ever. I'd like to make 2 recommendations to you.

1. Upgrade the landing gear to 2 inch foam wheels. I used dubro super light wheels and the extra clearance is great.
2. Upgrade the prop to a GWS EP 8060 Slow Flyer prop.

I use those 2 upgrades and the plane can now take of from the ground easy. You'd be surprised how much better the performance is with the 8060. Some people have gone up to the 9070 but even with the 2 inch wheels I still scrape the ground on landing with the prop. 8060 is just fine for me.

Looping the plane is fun but there are a few other things you can do with it. Try some inverted flight sometime. The plane hates it but it's fun to try and beat your last best time for inverted flight. Another thing that is fun is to do snap rolls with it. Basically get it up high (cause this is an uncontrolled manuever) and then pull the stick back and to the right fully. The plane will stall and wing over very fast. You can get it into some crazy situations like that and it's tons of fun to recover. I know one day the plane will eat dirt with me doing these things but hey that's what it's for hehe. It's done it's job and I learned a ton on it.

Good luck to you. Have fun. It's a great plane.