RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where did my thread go ???? Censorship ???
Old 08-30-2005, 03:48 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where did my thread go ???? Censorship ???

On certified TX's changing Xtals is indeed 100% illegal JettPilot

FCC Rule 95.222...

(a) You must not make or have anyone else make an internal modification to your R/C transmitter.
(b) Internal modification does not include:
(b1) Repair or servicing of an R/C station transmitter (see R/C Rule 21, Sec. 95.221); or
(b2) Changing plug-in modules which were certificated as part of your R/C transmitter.
(c) You must not operate an R/C transmitter which has been modified by anyone in any way, including modification to operate on unauthorized frequencies or with illegal power.

Exactly what part of this rule don't you understand? I don't care if the XTAL is on the outside of the TX with a big flashing sign that says "Here is the Xtal!!!", it is considered an internal component and cannot be changed. It's not a module. XTal change is not a repair or servicing. It is a fundamental change to the internal workings of the transmitter circuit.

Desperate? Support what I believe? Both of my parents work (one recently retired) work for the FCC in enforcement. Not Hitec, not Airtronics, but the Federal Communications Commission, the branch of the government that makes and enforces these rules incase you are unclear. I've asked them this exact question on XTAls. For certified TX, it is most definitely, positively, 100% illegal for the end user to change the Xtal. Period.

"For you to even quote what manufactures say and imply its the law tells me that you are desperate to support what you "believe" and are willing to be dishonest and mislead others to do it. Pretty sad. " - NO! What is pretty sad is armchair lawyers who try to interpret law. They of course misinterpret the law because they don't understand how it is to be interpreted. I don't claim to know all the ins and outs of the FCC regs... but I know those that do. They tell me you are wrong. The evidence you desire I have just presented... I'm sure you should have "no fear" in admitting your mistake.