RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2005, 04:16 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Ernie:

When you ask about engines I've torn down, I suppose you mean the more interesting things I've found.

I have only seen one Saito I didn't think worth repairing, it was a 270T that had broken one connecting rod. Made such a mess inside the repair parts would have cost almost as much as a new engine. Wasn't all caused by the broken rod though, I think the owner had been running it with very low oil, the crank pins were worn 'way undersized. The resulotant hammering of the rod bearigs led, in my opinion, to the fatigue failoure of the rod. I can only assume the owner ignored the noise the engine had to be making. The crankshaft and crankcase were trash, but both cylinders, the cams and valve gear, and one piston went into the spare parts bin. The other rod was also too badly worn to be used.

The worst one I put back together was an FA-91 with the rear bearing so badly worn the outside of the con rod was hitting the inside of the crankcase. The owner was still flying it, noise and all, until the inlet tappet got jammed by the loose metal inside. It held the intake valve open, no compression, it wouldn't start. This is the same owner who brought me the FA-72 with 0.032" learance on the intake valve mentioned in another thread.

Other than the 270T I havge only seen one broken part in a Saito, that was an FA-80 with a broken valve spring. The owner had fought it for quite a while, he couldn't get it over 4000 rpm. The valve was floating. Replaced the spring set and it was fine.

Most of what I do is the plain old "100 hour" check, new bearings, general inspection and cleaning. Sometimes I get some crash damage to repair but that's usually no more than a bent crank and a broken rocker box.

Other than that 270 twin I've never seen a Saito too bad to fix.

My Saito collectin has been added to by outright purchase, trading, and building an engine up from loose parts.

I am just finishing an FA-120 from a really oddball assortment of parts. It has the latest crankcase with the large rear bearing, a relatively new AAC cylinder, but it has the old style low cam, an air bleed carb, and the earloiest of all the exhausts - the straight pipe with the end squeezed down for a little bit of muffling. All oe piece, but still with a nipple for tank pressure.

Another big modification project was to build up a pair of FA-120 engines in counter rotation for my Cessna Bobcat twin.

Maintenance. Yes, you're right. I oil; the valve gear every time a Saito goes out of the house. This also gives me a chance to do a quick valve check. I don't get out a dial gauge, or even a feeler strip. Just wiggle the rockers. If the lash is off far enough to worry you'll feel it.

As far as wearing a Saito out, given reasonable maintenance I don't think it can be done.

Now if tou've read all the way through this, I thank you for your attentin. Haw.

Bill.
The following users liked this post:
brickwoodward (08-05-2023)