RCU Forums - View Single Post - How adaptable are RC radios?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 09:10 PM
slo ride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How adaptable are RC radios?

I'm an experienced geek experimenter that is jumping into RC for the first time so please forgive if some of my questions seen simplistic or obvious. Are any of the modern radio systems 2way? I see large displays on some of these units, it seems reasonable that they could display telemetry from the craft. With the nice screen on the 14MZ display of video from the craft should be possible if the 2nd processor is powerful enough. If not possible out of the box I'm sure someone is working on a hack. What is available or being worked on? I'm shopping for the most versatile, reconfigurable, capable radio system available. Is it the 14MZ or do modularized kit type systems exist that help you 'roll your own'? I'm waiting for a motor and VP prop for a Tensor 4D. I have a T Maxx and intend to build battle boats, seaplanes, submarines, and airships. The radio I buy should work with all of these. Possible? Any special limitations transmitting under water to the sub? Except for the Tensor they will all carry cameras and other fun gadgets. One feature I would like is the ability to fly using both sticks until I reach stable flight, then throw a switch which allows limited control of the aircraft with 1 stick and autopilot which would free the other stick's channels to be temporarily reassigned to camera pan, tilt, zoom. Possible? In a related question, do the sticks on most transmitters twist? That would make a handy zoom control. I would also like to use the Tx as an input device for my computer. I have seen interfaces that use the trainer port, but that seems a shame since you are holding a radio Tx in your hands. Any receiver based computer HID interfaces? Should be easy enough to build one. But it would be nice to have a way to dial down your Tx power to extend battery life during those marathon Half Life sessions. Speaking of battery power, I've got a great lightweight alternative, but thats a post for another forum. Sorry for so many questions in my first post. I hope to be offering answers soon instead.
slo