RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**
Old 09-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Skycam41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

I test flew this new offering from H9 for a newbie on the holiday Monday. The fellow that bought this has no RC plane experience at all but has driven RC buggies.

The owner put the plane together as per the DVD that comes with it and had all the go slow in place with flaps at the recommended starting position for a begginer. I asked about the motor being broke in and was told it comes ready broke in! Hmm, never heard of that before but the motor started right up and had a great idle. Very nice ARF as is custom from H9.

Line up and start the take off, dropped a wing tip and a horrid scraping sound (we fly off pavement) as one of the wheels came rolling off and continued on for 80 feet or so

OK, checked all the wheel collars now, all were loose....suggest using blue loctite to other owners and filing a small flat spot on the axles.

Throttle up and off we go, held a little up elevator then relaxed it so the tail comes up nicely (the wheels are so far forward I think you would have a hard time getting it to nose over), more power and the P51 gently lifts up.

It deffinately flys slowly which is wwhat you want for first time pilots. Turns I thought were better when some rudder was added but make sure you use up elevator in the turns or it will drop pretty quick. I was able to loop from level flight although it was pretty oval shaped! Once up high I throttled right back and kept feeding in up elevator to see how it would stall. Its nose dropped and the plane bobbed like a dolphin till power was added.

Landing was simple, keep the nose down a little and flare for an easy three pointer. I think beginners will tend to flare too soon casuing the plane to pitch up if not too careful.

Is it for a beginner? That's a good question. It sure looks much better than the traditional boxy trainer and once all the go slow stuff has been removed and you have working flaps it would make a great sprt plane that you can grow into. IMO you could learn to fly if just starting off but you will need help from an instructor. I would leave all the go slow stuff on it till you are comfortable with basic flight, take off, landings etc. H9 I think have a winner here and one which you will start to see at clubs all over. Once all the training aids have been removed, prop the plane different and I think you have a very nice sport and looking P51. The invasion stripes and yellow tail really stand out in the sky which helps in orientation.

The owner of this particular P51 did very well on the buddy box and I only took over if he started to fly too low! After the first and second flights he was all smiles which is what owners will be doing a lot of!

Mike