RCU Forums - View Single Post - Thinning Epoxy Resin
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Newflee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinning Epoxy Resin

ORIGINAL: davidfee

You need to be very careful when thinning with solvents. The solvent must a) evaporate completely before the epoxy begins to stiffen and b) not dissolve your release system (if you're molding something).

The problem is that condition a is very rarely satisfied... resulting in measurable decreases in physical performance (strength, Tg, etc.). Also, alcohol is terrible in that it is very hygroscopic and the resulting water contamination will really cause problems with the epoxy.

If you need to reduce the working viscosity of your epoxy... just warm it up and use a slower hardener if needed.

-David

David, I've seen your avatar more than a few times and I know you know more than me but set me right on this.
- Will heating the resin not dramatically speed the cure of the resin? If so it does not accomplish much in wetting potential on larger jobs.

I do agree that alcohol is H20 attractive however below 80% it is not so much so. 99% alcohol will attaract H20 agressively but at a much higher rate it is evaporating.

Perhaps this is a question that can only be answered under controlled experimentation.

Any other opinions?

Lee

Ps. Here's my C114 Tutor Fuse done with thinning. I'll do the next straight and see if I can wet out as light in the end and also have the same strength.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71545.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	321239