RCU Forums - View Single Post - Compression loss.....after a few tanks?
Old 09-18-2005, 10:22 AM
eye one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compression loss.....after a few tanks?

So trying to fine tune the Collari after 8 or 9 tanks I noticed it would cut out after it got up to temp, around 220-240. Thinking it could be the LSN too lean, or maybe the glow plug is too hot.

Low and behold I can rotate the flywheel with one finger. Yeah there is a resistance, but it can still turn over with just one finger.

It's never really gotton hot (260 max), and I have taken every precaution possible to keep it clean and maintained. Always set it to BDC while breaking it in, use after run oil when it would sit, never ran without a clean filter, and haven't even ran it in dirt. Oh, and it has been running rich.

Why would it lose compression so easily, I don't get it. Or is normal on this big block to be able to turn it so freely? I can't imagine how I could have scored the piston and sleeve but this would explain the thing cutting out and difficult to start when hot. The head is on tight, I even sealed the backplate and carb with RTV sealant (they say it's not neccessary but it's a habit)

Maybe the removal of a head shim would help? What else should I look at. Makes no sense, hoping someone will tell me I am over reacting & it's normal, and to keep tuning.