RCU Forums - View Single Post - unloading question
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2002, 12:28 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unloading question

I talked to a god friend of mine today about engines unloading in air. He has been in the hobby for years and he was the one that got me into flying 13 years ago.

I was telling him about how my GRRT will not spin the rpms and not unload in the air. One thing that came up was my fuel type. I been using 15% OMEGA and from what i hear is the wrong kind. So I purchased some 5% to help this out some maybe. Also I was telling him about how I can not get my engine to unload in air the way it should be. Something that came up was that I may be running to lean on the ground and the engine is already maxed out. Therefor when in air it can not rev anymore from there so the power gain is to nothing. I thought they way I had it set up I did have it a bit rich due to I could pinch my line and it rev up a bit more. We was thinking I don't have it rich enough on ground so it never has a chance to unload properly. So far I am totally confused about this engine. I can tune any other engine and tear it apart and back together, but this one has been a huge pain.

My question is this, lets say I have it rich enough so it does unload in the air. Will I be getting more RPM's this way than the way I have been running it? Meaning from what I think it may have been maxed out on the ground already. Now if it unloads in the air will the RPM's be greater than the other way I been running it. I always been afraid to have it to rich and not have enough power for it to get going with the 7.2 x 8.6 prop I been using.

At this moment I am lost about this thing. One I cant seem to get it to spin at 20,000 as other have been. Next it does not unload correctly. Hopeful my 5% fuel will help me out in this case. Another thing is my pipe is fixed so it makes it hard to tune it as I would a macs with header.