RCU Forums - View Single Post - Turbine Enforcer
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 09:28 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Turbine Enforcer

Randy,
Extending the nose will affect the CG because you have added more lifting surface to the front of the plane. Moving the CG forward makes it more nose heavy, moving it aft makes it more tail heavy.

I just checked the CG on my Enforcers. Both have the nose extended 6". The DF one is 16 1/4" from the TE of the wing (not counting the control surfaces). The turbine one is 16 3/4". On the DF I extended just the nose in front of the cockpit, on the turbine one I also made the fuse wider; so the turbine has a little more area up front. I prefer the flight characteristics of the turbine, which is more stable.

If the CG is too far back the plane will be overly sensitive to control inputs and difficult to fly. As you move the CG forward the plane becomes more stable. Part of it is personal preference depending of how you fly. For a first flight it is better to err on the side of nose heavy. I'd recommend that you start with 16 3/4 to 17". If it tends to drop the nose on turns then move it back slightly.

Post some pictures when you get a chance.

Joe