RCU Forums - View Single Post - "Giant Scale" boats?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Tony Pacini

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: "Giant Scale" boats?

Ummmmmmmm................I was thinking of something a little more "ambitious"!

It needs to be small enough to fit in a 5x8 cargo trailer (90 inches or less).

This will be a decidedly "low tech" (and low cost) project. I plan to cut/shape foam for the hull and cover it with glass. An aircraft carrier would be ideal because the hull wouldn't be too complex and the top is flat with a small tower and minimal detail. I want to use 12V automotive or marine batteries because they've got a ton of capacity, are inexpensive, and are heavy enough to sit the boat down in the water. I won't go crazy on detail; it just has to be BIG and recognizeable as a carrier (or whatever I decide to build). It doesn't have to be fast, either: big, slow, and menacing is what I'm after.

I've got too many other projects going to make this one a multi-year ordeal, so it'll have to be as simple as possible. I figure a weekend or so of gluing big blocks of foam together (for which I already have a supplier) and some quick work with a hot wire cutter will enable me to rough out a hull with minimal effort. Sand/shape/fill/glass and I'm on my way! Topside detail will be "standoff scale" quality and not fancy. This will not be a museum-quality piece, just big and fun.

This is what happened when I decided to build a rocket (pictured here with my son)........! Yes, it flew (for a little while), though more like a cruise missile than a rocket. Yikes!

Has this kind of thing been done before?

Tony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40463.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	332350