RCU Forums - View Single Post - 'Nuther Patriot XL Build and Fly
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 10:17 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 'Nuther Patriot XL Build and Fly

Having completed and flown my Patriot XL, I thought I would bless the fine readers of RC Universe with my critique of the instruction manual and a few building tips. As always, this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. Flying impressions are also given. So, without further ado, here is my blow-by-blow review. There will be several posts because I haven’t quite mastered embedding photos yet.

Quotes indicate original manual instructions.

Page 4 – “Robart #607 90-Degree retract for the nose gear (3/16” (4.8mm) wire strut)”
--This gear has a 5/32” strut and you will need to buy a 5/32” Great Planes slip-on axle for it.
Page 4 – “3/16” x 2” (4.8 x 51mm) slip-on axles (GPMQ4278)”
--That’s the Great Planes part number for the bolt-on axle. You’ll need the slip-on axle, GPMQ4282, for the main gear and GPMQ4281 for the nose gear.
Page 6 – To minimize delays, I build all the skins and doublers before proceeding. Skins and doublers are on pages 8, 11, 12, 14, 19, 23, and 24
Page 8 – If you like using the Great Planes slot cutter, layout and cut the slots on the stab and fin trailing edges before you construct these parts. You can’t get to all the slot locations with your cutter, otherwise.
Page 17 – If you like using the Great Planes slot cutter, layout and cut the slots on the wing trailing edges before you glue on the wingtips. Same reason as above.
Page 18 – I didn’t like the wheelwells being unfinished, so I rolled some 3/32” balsa around a paint spray can and glued them in position. Gives the sheeting something to attach to, instead of just an open hole into your wing. You’ll still have to cut part of the well liner away to route your retract lines, but at least it helps keep some of the bugs and trash out of your wing. It probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to fuelproof the nose wheelwell as it is right beside the exhaust. I didn’t do it; just think it would be a good idea. Maybe the epoxy fairy will do it for me.

To Be Continued…..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84836.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	335659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23353.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	335660