RCU Forums - View Single Post - 'Nuther Patriot XL Build and Fly
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 10:23 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 'Nuther Patriot XL Build and Fly

Keep on keepin' on.....

Page 36 – I built tail fairings out of balsa. Much better looking. Didn’t use the air intakes. Also built a tail cone out of balsa. Hollowed it out and put 3 ounces of lead shot in it before gluing in place.
Page 37 – Mine took 1 ½ ounces of lead in the left wing tip to balance laterally.
Page 37 – The instructions are out of sequence here. They tell you to do the final servo, control horn, and receiver installation before covering. I covered it first, then installed all the hardware.

The plan show 2 ¼” main wheels, while the instructions show 2 ½” wheels. Not a big difference but it makes a whale of a difference in how the plane takes off. If you use 2 ½” wheels, it doesn’t want to rotate.

If you use Robart 605HD retracts, don’t forget to file a flat in the strut for the set screw since that’s all that keeps the strut in the base. I didn’t and a mainwheel strut rotated 90 degrees when I was taxiing before the maiden. Reminded me of that Jet Blue Airbus landing in LA. Not good and it’s not even mentioned in the retract instructions. Picked the plane up and the strut fell out of the wing. Dodged a bullet there! The nosewheel retract needs flats for the steering arm and the collar that holds the strut in the base. Don’t forget flats for the slip-on axle and wheel, while you’ve got the file out.

To Be Continued…..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44879.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	335662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11703.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	335663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15117.jpg
Views:	22