RCU Forums - View Single Post - Multiplex EasyStar vs. Graupner Tipsy as first RC plane
Old 10-10-2005, 04:48 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Multiplex EasyStar vs. Graupner Tipsy as first RC plane

Hi All,

This is my first post here. There are a TON of forums here, too many probably... I could have posted this in any of about 6 others, and it would've still been appropriate.

I haven't even bought a plane yet, nor have I ever flown one. So this is going to be my first plane. I've been doing hours & hours of reading on the internet, and I'd like to start with a durable foamy with rear pusher prop.

Between these two planes, which do you think is a better choice?

[link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar.htm]Multiplex EasyStar[/link]

[link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/tipsy.htm]Graupner Tipsy[/link]

Easystar:
[ul][*] Big. Might be better in breezy conditions?[*] Two-piece wing, easier to transport[*] 400 class motor may be have more thrust than the 280 on the Tipsy. Not sure though, as this is a bigger plane too...[*] Bigger fuselage may be better for battery and/or motor upgrades later?
[/ul]

Tipsy
[ul][*] 30 minute flight times are common.[*] Doubles as a glider, with power-assist when necessary/desired[*] One-piece wing. Easier alignment likely?[*] Since this doubles as a glider, would I be less likely to be bored with it down the road?[*] Would the smaller glider-type design mean it's going to be more problematic in a breeze?
[/ul]

I'm concerned about the breeze-worthiness because it is often gusty in my neck of the woods. (north suburban Chicago area)

I'm attracted to the long flight times and glider abilities of the Tipsy. But maybe the EasyStar is more stable in a breeze or sudden gust of wind?

From your collective experience, what do you think would be the better starter?

I'm going to be starting alone, without an instructor, and with only about $300 max, for what it's worth.

Thanks!

-Jeremy