RCU Forums - View Single Post - Multiplex EasyStar vs. Graupner Tipsy as first RC plane
Old 10-10-2005, 07:10 AM
flyranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Multiplex EasyStar vs. Graupner Tipsy as first RC plane

Alone and without an instructor, you will not be happy with the Tipsy. Yeah, it's a very cool looking airplane but I completely crushed the nose of mine on the first launch. It is NOT a slow flyer. You have to really heave that sucker to get it to flying speed which means getting back on the sticks as soon as possible. The foam used in the wing is not strong and the wing edges chip easily. The stock power system is underpowered for most new flyers. I needed enough power to get a "mistake" high in a hurry. Replaced the stock motor (yeah, you have to cut it out of the foam, motor is installed by epoxy) with an E-flite Park 370 inrunner running the stock folding prop. Now it was a much better flyer. I snapped the wing pulling an inside loop in a moderate (3mph) wind. Also you have to use the Grapner recommended battery pack which is VERY expensive for what you get due to the limited space in the fuse. No experience with the EasyStar, lost lots of money on the Tipsy!
My recommended first plane is the GWS Slow Stick. Even with the stock 400 brushed motor/gearbox, it takes off from grass and lands easily.