RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to remove water from fuel
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 03:06 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to remove water from fuel

Hello; We all know that the methanol in our fuel attracts water from the atmosphere. There is another thread here which may be solved by removing the water from the fuel. I remove water from my fuel by freezing my fuel bottle then pour ing the frozen fuel off into a clean dry bottle. It leaves the water frozen to the bottom of the jug.

a friend (Bill bond) decided to find out just how much water our fuel could contain before the engine wouldn't run. He did all his experiments in a controlled environment, and added water in percentages. First he added 5%, no change, then another 5% for a total of 10%, no change. Then he added another 10% water to the blend, the top end was reduced 200 rpms. He tried the same experiment on a four stroke engine (an Eny 60) and got the same results 200 rpms at a 20% water added. The fuel was milky with the water combining with the oil. Now I wouldn't recommend anybody water their fuel down to make it last , and this test doesn't deal with long-term effects.