RCU Forums - View Single Post - Terrible range check...please help!
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 07:50 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Terrible range check...please help!

If this has been covered here I apologize, but I couldn't find it.

I have a new plane with a Hitec 555 receiver and four Hitec S-55 mini servos. I had to add extensions to the servos for this plane of 340mm for the tail mounted servos, and 295mm for the aileron servos. I used the same gauge wire, and carefully soldered the connections and used shrink wrap insulation. I carefully twisted the leads I used for the servo extensions for neatness.

I cannot get a good ground range check. It loses the signal and the servos go crazy at less than 20 feet checking with the antenna down. I have tried three different receivers and crystals, and two different transmitters with the same results. It does this even with the motor off and the speed control disconnected. (temporarily using a separate battery to power the receiver.) Could the extensions, or the fact that I twisted the extensions be causing this problem? I am a long time modeler and have never run into this problem, but this is the first time I have used twisted lead extensions. I have tried everything, including doing a ground check with the antenna strung outside the plane to the side, but it loses control and the servos go nuts at less than 20 feet distance. Help???!!

AV8TOR