RCU Forums - View Single Post - Transall C-160
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 10:14 PM
algutkin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transall C-160

I'm really glad I found this forum, just reading the posts have really helped me to convert my thinking from Nitro to Electric.

My conversion started with the Polk C47. I read about the kit in one of the magazines and really got excited about seeing the big twin fly. This was short lived as the reporter for the magazine must have been sniffing too much of something. The Polk C47 is a sled. Hobby Lobby saved the day. I did my research, read the conversion threads, watched all of Greg's videos at least twice and finally learned enough to buy those 2820/10 motors, Opti controllers and three 3 cell, 15c, 2000mah Kokam packs. Because of this thread and the interest in the Transall, I also ordered and just received the C-160, which will come next. I think the Transall is probably a much better base kit to modify, however it is too late, have to finish the C47 first.

The C47 conversion is now complete and the engines werr static tested this past weekend. The amp readings per side were just as you guys reported, 25 amps with 9 by 6 props, 30 amps with 10 by 6s. Oh I forgot to mention I moved the engine nacelles outward as much as possible, so the larger props could be used. I also increased the main gear hight by 1/4 inch to provide more ground clearance. The project is almost ready to fly, except for some minor mods and balancing.

Flying is Southern California is the hard part, there is no space left. Houses and people don't mix with RC anything. Please keep this thread active, we all are looking forward to more C-160 videos. Oh, regarding the C-160 video. Was it the video, or did that aircraft land pretty hot? I was hoping that the C-160 would be like it's brother the C130, and be a short takeoff and landing bird. Also capable of operating in rough terrain. Hey, I'm willing to learn, please keep up the interest.
Al Gutkin