RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pointing antenna at plane!
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pointing antenna at plane!

In theory, I don't disagree with you.
I learned that at school as well.
What I have found in practice with JR and Futaba equipment is that the range when parallel is a lot less than when the RX is the stem of the T. I don't know why. Just have had this more times that not. I have seen 4 newbies to gas not fly because there range when side on to the plane was greatly reduced. The only exception would be if the mass of the engine was strengthening the signal to the RX but I doubt that.

Like I said, I learned that in school as well but not seen it in practice at the field.

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

ORIGINAL: Geistware
The best reception is the TX pointing away from the plane and the RX antenna is point at the TX
Not true.

The end on view of the RX antenna is also the worst for reception. The best reception is when the antennas are parallel to each other pointed in the same direction (either horizontal or vertical).

Monopoles antennas have a reception pattern kind of like a donut, where the axis of the donut hole is aligned with the antenna. TX and RX properties of an antenna are the same, so you have the same pattern whether it is a receiver or a transmitter.