RCU Forums - View Single Post - F-20 have washout?
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Endor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F-20 have washout?

setxws6,

Bob is right, the SA F-20 flies well and exhibits no bad habits. I've flown a friends F-20 many times and have found it to be pretty easy to deal with -- no tip stall/snap tendencies at all, and a slower stall speed that you might think.

I always bring it in pretty far downfield on my approach leg, reduce power and let it slow until i start to see the angle of attack increasing, then just let it settle in and decend. Use throttle and not elevator to control decent as Bob suggests. My experience is that the plane will not slow down quickly, which is the reason for the long approach -- without that you will likely overshoot the runway. I suggest a fair amount of touch-and-go's to get used to how the plane "settles in" to a nice decent rate with nose slightly up (AOA).

So, don't worry 'bout it, you'll be fine. When my buddy first let me take the sticks, I was primarily flying 3D/funfly aircraft with their super floaty/high alpha landings... and I had no problems landing this on my first try. It was a lot more forgiving than I had assumed it would be.