RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great planes F14 Tomcat -engine suggestion
Old 11-06-2005, 12:49 PM
BlackhawkCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great planes F14 Tomcat -engine suggestion

Hello fellas,

I was surfing through and was surpised to see my F-14. I haven't been in the hobby for awhile since going back to school. Just don't have the play funds anymore since leaving the Army. To tell you a little about the plane, I built it about four years ago while stationed overseas and really have only flown it a handful of times. I decided to modify it with everything I wanted on it, retracts, gear doors and flaps. The retracts are robart operated with an electronic sequencer on two air valves. The air cylinders and hinges used for the mains I purchased through BVM along with the sequencer. I built the gear doors using ply after cutting out the fulselage area and using that as a guide. I've never weighed the plane so I can't give you an accurate number but there a significant weight penalty for having all the goodies added. I was willing, though, to sacrifice speed for looks and it definately looks cool watching it operate. It surprisingly still has quite a bit of speed. The only place I've flown it was in Colorado Springs so the added weight and high altitude required constant power upon landing. I since moved back to Texas but haven't flown it to see if a lower altitude would give it any better glide, which wasn't much in Colorado. Here are some pics of the setup. If you have any questions about it feel free to email me. [email protected]