RCU Forums - View Single Post - need a correct answer about fuel proof paint.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:09 AM
multiflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need a correct answer about fuel proof paint.

The problem of glow fuel proofing depends on exposure. The raw fuel attacks the worst. Burnt fuel exhaust can be mostly oil by the time it hits the tail surfaces. If the exhaust hits the surface very soon after leaving the muffler there will be more raw fuel deposited. Also depends on how much nitro in the glow fuel. With this in mind, the oil based poly urethanes and varnishes are semi fuel proof. How long the finish lasts depends on exposure. It takes epoxy or butyrate (spelling?) dope to hold up to raw glow fuel on a regular basis. Anything water based has no chance against glow fuel. I painted a set of pontoons with the water based P.U. and it didn't even hold up to a season of fresh water! Outside my experience I have heard that the acrylic lacquers hold up well. Also I hear that the automotive paints do well but also have heard they don't? I used iron on for many years to avoid this problem but I'm going to paint from now on. Another problem is that the formulation of products keep changing. A particular paint that used to do okay may not today.

Glow fuel proofing is a real tough problem.

Multiflyer