RCU Forums - View Single Post - The ultimate motor for a Magnum R??
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 05:54 PM
thefunkyhobbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The ultimate motor for a Magnum R??

Hi Guys thanks for the replies.
In the past I have enjoyed re working Marine motors for circuit racing.
I have tried reworking my ST G500 as follows:
Mill out case carb throat to take a West/Webra carb.
Advancing rotor timing 5 Deg,Extending rotor timing 5 Deg,
Taper throat inlet of the rotor,taper outlet of the rotor with @ 60 Deg cone.
Reload with BOCA ceramic bearings
Advance boost and transfer ports by 5 Deg.
Advance Exhaust timing up to 178Deg.
Rework inner case to Blue print with liner ports.Skirt piston up to base of piston top pin casting leaving exhaust skirt intact.

Gas flow/Taper boost and transfer ports,and under cut base of liner in port area.
Rework and taper crank end cap to assist boost transfer.
Rework and streamlined rod with a steep diamond profile.
Balance as best as possible piston/rod against crank.
Machine new head button to suit 30% nitro

the ST is set up on 30% Cool power, Rossi R6 plug, APC 8X8.
Preswitck alloy open full wave pipe set at 28cm.
Tacho static @ 21K

The motor has little to no bottom end, its all or nothing!!.
I have to dive a little to get the motor on the pipe,but once its there it stays.

I think I have maxed out this poor little ST and the rod will probably let go soon.

I have studied the internals of my friends West V50, there ain't nothing special going on.
Apart from the timings being a little higher,and the head button being higher compression,the West looks like a sport motor.The port volumes on the boost and transfer are smaller than my O.S 46 FX
The West internal components are well machined but thickness and tolerances are under spec compared to my ST.
I have no doubt that the West Performs well and seems to be in Vogue at the moment. I am looking for a Race bred motor that I can rework a little.
Could the Jett 60 BSE LX be reworked to turn a 10X7 in the high 19,s or early 20Ks if it was running on mid nitro and a full wave pipe?
I am not Racing,just flying for the "Buzz" so rules an regs don't apply.
I am a novice when it comes to airframes,so I thought the Magnum would be a good choice.
However after being informed by you guys that its a little draggy,what do you suggest as an alternative?.
I do like the look of "Reno style" airframes but i am not so keen on full Pylon style airframes.
Thanks,Mark Palmer