RCU Forums - View Single Post - What is the best first biplane?
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 08:29 AM
desmobob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What is the best first biplane?

ORIGINAL: Don M.

The Sig Ultimate Fun Fly gets my vote. I have had one for 8 years and another NIB in the attic, when that one is worn out ( soon now ). It started life with an OS .46 2 - stroke and that lasted 1 day ( I hated the 2 - stroke in it ). I pulled that and put a Saito .56 in it. That lasted 5 years and now I have a YS .63 in it ( absolutely a blast ) can you say unlimited vertical and straight out of the hand launches. I am now considering electric for it if someone can tell me what e - power will give me the same performance as the YS.

One thing for sure - make your engine very realiable, YOU DO NOT WANT A FLAME OUT WITH THIS PLANE, it glides like a man hole cover, but man what fun.
I thought the SIG UFF flew great with a .46... why didn't you like the two-stroke? I never got to fly my Saito .56 in mine. I guess I'll have to try and rebuild it this winter.

I know what you mean about the glide ratio. I bought mine used with a Magnum .46 on the nose and bent up the landing gear several times until I replaced the Magnum with a Thunder Tiger.

I think I better order another UFF kit to have in storage, just in case. You never know when a company might discontinue an airplane you really enjoy.

Good flying,
desmobob