RCU Forums - View Single Post - Anybody ever used special magnification prescription glasses for flying?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:09 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anybody ever used special magnification prescription glasses for flying?

ORIGINAL: RandallM.

Yea Stew,
I bet something could be made, but honestly, when push came to shove, I decided it's not a priority to walk into an optometrists store and shell out a few hundred bucks for it at this time.

It seems most of the folks replying to this thread are not into guns. Because, if any of you have experience with a low power setting on a rifle scope (1 1/2X to 2 X magnification), you would see that you could adjust the focus on it well enough that it will focus at both near and far. (just like how hunters are able to use a fixed power scope on a target at any distance)

Keep in mind that's its not so important to be able to focus in and read the small lettering on the plane as you fly it over the run way. Neither is it important to use such specialized prescription glasses to read the New York Times when you're not flying. The idea is to be able to have instant ORIENTATION OF YOUR PLANE AT ALL DISTANCES, ESPECIALLY AT THE FARTHEST POINT.

I guess nobody has done this.
Low power rifle scopes do give more of a focus range than the higher powers do. It seems you are overlooking the major drawback- field of vision. A scope is useful if you can bring the crosshairs on a target. Tough to do on a moving target. Ever wonder why shotguns (firing shot, not slugs) don't use scopes?