RCU Forums - View Single Post - Interest in build photos
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 05:20 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Interest in build photos

I finally got around to bench running the old SF .40 today. Wow. For an engine that hasn't been run in over 13 years I was impressed. It had been flooded with Marvel Mystery Oil and stored in a ziplock bag in its original box all these years so I did take it apart and scrub it with dishwasher detergent since it wouldn't turn over and the carb barrel wouldn't budge.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but after several flips with my finger over the carb to prime it I attached the ni-starter and gave it a good firm flip with my right index finger. Instant on. Like turning on an electric motor switch. I knew the idle mixture adjustment was going to be off since I had disassembled the carb to clean it. It was a bit lean and a 1/4 turn had it jumping from low idle to wide open pretty much instantly. No hesitation, coughing or sagging to speak of. I restarted it five times and all but once it fired up on the first flip. One time it took two flips. It's a pretty quiet engine (the muffler has a conical baffle) and vibration seems very low.

Looks like I have a nice engine for my Falcon.