RCU Forums - View Single Post - Achieving a nose high approach?
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2005, 07:20 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Achieving a nose high approach?

Any advice? Yup, reread what multiflyer just wrote and...

Delta wing a/c don't handle exactly like straight wing a/c, or swept wing for that matter. They're supposed to be able to take a bunch of "too much up pitch" and not stall. But stall or not, they obviously can reach a point where they're not stalled but have so little power on that they cease going forward. So....

No matter what theory says, the best thing to do for each and every model is to fly some simulated landings above ground level. Do the first couple "way up there", obviously. Truth is, you're simply finding out how the a/c stalls (which ought to be done on your trim flights anyway) but you're doing it in the wind that you're going to land in very soon, and doing it in the direction you're going to land in. All of which is just sensible.

The deltas are supposed to be safer because they don't stall as easily, but I'd suggest that they might just be less safe for us modelers because we're apt to be tricked into flying them slower and slower until they simply fall out. Those awesome videos of the Concord coming in to land show what you're after, right? The sucker is cranked way up there, right? I bet the guys driving those a/c don't get to do that with passengers until they've been told again and again what the envelope for power and aoa is, and told a bunch of times, and then practiced it in the simulator a bunch.

And you're talking about your first delta jet. Is that your first delta? or your first jet? or both? I'd suggest that trying to make a straight wing prop job land with all it's belly showing would be way different than doing the same with a jet because of the throttle response difference ignoring the differences between delta and other planforms. You might even be learning the wrong things with something other than a delta and other than a jet or ducted fan.

You got any friends (and they'd be CLOSE friends) who have a delta jet they'd let you stall out real high up? I'd suggest that'd be the best practice. Are you going to maiden flight the a/c?