RCU Forums - View Single Post - no command and lots of frustration! a warning for beginners!
Old 11-29-2005, 08:55 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: no command and lots of frustration! a warning for beginners!

ORIGINAL: MASTERYODA

I've only just gotten into this hobby and allready im disheartened,my first plane which came highly recommended and seemed ideal to start me off in the hobby has been nothing but a dissapointment and the more i think about it the more illogical the plane seems and the more i resent it.that plane is the highly lauded hobbyzone firebird commander advertised as being "as easy as driving round the sky"

now before i start on this let me say that i knew learning involved crashing and i am ok with that i also know that others have had good experiences with this plane and this is only my own personal experience with it.

maybe im being harsh but it just baffles me how this is such a popular plane,why this and why not the aerobird?or any of the other quality products out there, the ones that are stable enough to allow you to learn but still positive enough to inspire confidence?this surely cant be the cream of the crop?!even if this plane did function well to me it seems nothing more than an ill designed product designed to have a short life and encourage people to pay their way through as many hobbyzone planes as possible as they move up the preordained skill zones, i personaly have decided to just count the plane as a loss(not without a fair amount of bitterness as is more than evident from this rant)and move on to a plane that will actualy help me learn and i advise anyone else who is buying their first plane to do the same,avoid 2 channel planes with gimmicks plastered over them,learn the right way,with 3 or 4 channels from the start,take it slow and learn with confidence!
I started on the Aerobird and found it a great first plane. I wanted the greater contol of three channels.

Having said that I have flown many commanders and found them very easy to fly IF and only IF you wait for calm conditions for your early flights. Of course the manual tells you this. This plane will not take a lot of wind as there is no pitch control.

You have to learn to hold the thottle at partial power to hold altitude. The spring back throttle stick does not promote this, but it works fine.

If you want more control you move the control wires closer to the surface, just like any other RC plane. Of course the manual tells you this.

Flown under the proper conditions the plane flies very well and is easy to control. Flown in wind and you have little chance of learning how to fly.